Saturday, April 20, 2013

Good Shepherd Sunday

My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me. John 10: 27
The Fourth Sunday of Easter (April 21 this year) is commonly called “Good Shepherd Sunday.” The Gospel for this Sunday is verses from John 10, where Jesus says, “I am the good shepherd. The good shepherd lays down his life for the sheep.”

Why celebrate our Lord Jesus as the Good Shepherd during the Easter season? Very simply, after He laid down his life for us, defeating our enemies (sin, death, and the devil), He did not stay dead. He rose again, and remains the Shepherd for us, His flock, with many continuing blessings for us as a result.

The Psalm for this Sunday, Psalm 23, summarizes the blessings we receive from the hand of our Good Shepherd.

The Lord is my shepherd. I shall not be in want.
     He makes me lie down in green pastures.
He leads me beside quiet waters.
     He restores my soul.
He guides me in paths of righteousness for his name’s sake.
Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death,
     I will fear no evil, for you are with me. Your rod and your staff—they comfort me.
You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies.
     You anoint my head with oil.
     My cup overflows.
Surely goodness and love will follow me all the days of my life.
     And I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever.

In this world there is trouble. But our Good Shepherd has overcome the world.

No comments: